GPHS Moorings Newsletters - page 37

Grosse Pointe
Historical Society
established 1945
Winter 2011
Vol. 28 No. 3
the
Moorings
Christmas
Open House
Friday, Dec. 2, 2011 7:00 p.m.
Continued on page 7
Continued on page 3
La Belle’s Country Store is located in the
Provencal-Weir House.The store is named after
John La Belle who moved the house c. 1914
from its original location at Provencal and Lake
Shore Road to the present location. We have
some new and wonderful holiday gifts this year.
The shop is open every second Saturday and by
appointment. Call 313-884-7010. GPHS members
are eligible for a 10 percent discount. Just ask for
it at the cash register. Here are just afew of our
fabulous new gift ideas:
PewabicTile:
Grosse Pointe Historical
Society introduces its brand new, limited edition,
commemorative Pewabic tile of Grosse Pointe Park’s
Windmill.This unique oval tile measures 3 ¾" x 4 ¾" and is
ready to hang. Its translucent blue glaze is reminiscent of the sky
with our beautiful Lake St. Clair.
• Ornament:
We have a lovely
new
ornament of a color
rendering of the Provencal-Weir House. It is a limited edition,
first in a series, ornament measuring 3" in diameter and has a
Celebrate the
Spirit of the Season
at the
Grosse Pointe Historical Society
Come Enjoy
Caroling
Entertainment
Holiday Treats
Shopping at LaBelle’s
Country Store
A History of the
Neighborhood Club
Holiday Shopping at
La Belle’s Country Store
CHRISTMAS 2011
The Neighborhood Club has been an important part of our
community since it was formed in 1911. Earlier this fall, the old
building was demolished to make way for the new Neighborhood Club
Wellness and Community Center, set to be completed in early 2013.
Below is a history of the club, taken from “Notes for Publicity,”
from the Neighborhood Club Scrap Book by Mrs. Chas. F. Dodenhoff,
July 7, 1965, gift of Mrs. Ellis Merry April, 1984. GPHS Director of
Education Izzy Donnelly finishes up the story and reports on the new
building.
The first Neighborhood Club
For information,
call 884-7010
The Grosse Pointe Neighborhood Club located at 17145
Waterloo, City of Grosse Pointe 30, Michigan, was organized as
the Mutual Aid and Neighborhood Club on January 14, 1911.
A group of summer residents “of the Pointe” discovered many
1...,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36 38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,...230
Powered by FlippingBook