GPHS Moorings Newsletters - page 227

image
Grosse Pointe Public Schools
Administrative Buildings,
389-399 St. Clair
In 1905-06, Grosse Pointe School District No. 1
built its second school building, a two-story
brick structure at 389 St. Clair Avenue in the
Village of Grosse Pointe. There were eight class-
rooms serving 240 pupils. It was named the
Cadieux School after the Cadieux family who
resided in the Village. Francis Cadieux served as
the District No. 1 School Inspector for 33 years.
In 1916-18, a north building, 399 St. Clair, was
added due to the increased classroom demand.
By 1924, the school housed all area students
from kindergarten through the twelfth grade.
Cadieux School was so overcrowded that double
sessions had to be scheduled. Thirty-four
different classes were being taught there.
Groundbreaking for a new, secondary school at
the corner of Fisher and Grosse Pointe
Boulevard took place in January 1927. The high
school opened the following February. After two
years at the new school, the offices of the
Grosse Pointe Public School System moved back
to the Cadieux school, where they have been
located ever since.
The School Board announced plans to vacate
the two buildings on St. Clair in 1992, but the
decision was met with public outcry and a bid to
purchase the property was rejected. In 2002-03
the buildings underwent a major renovation,
including a full connection between the two
buildings and many other significant improve-
ments.
2
Officers
Lisa Mower Gandelot . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .President
Michael Farley . . . . . . . . . . .Vice President-Administration
Debbie Graffius . . . . . . . . . . . .Vice President-Development
Herman Mozer . . . . . . . . . . . . .Vice President-Preservation
Richard Strowger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Treasurer
Frank J. Sladen, Jr . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Secretary
Board of Trustees
Susan Boynton
Thomas Cliff
Doug Cordier
Danielle DeFauw
Stuart Grigg
Kiki Herfert
Jim Hinkins
Adele Huebner
William B. Krag
Julie Waterfall Norris
Sara Ralph
Paula Sarvis
Patti Schollenberger
Claudia Shannon
Myrna Smith
Molly Valade
Paula Wigton
John Wilson
Rob Wood
Peggy Woodhouse
The Grosse Pointe Historical Society Headquarters is
located in the Provencal-Weir House, 376 Kercheval
Avenue, and the Resource Center is located at 381
Kercheval Avenue, both in Grosse Pointe Farms,
Michigan, 48236. The Provencal-Weir House, c. 1823,
is open the second Saturday of each month, 1:00-4:00
p.m., during special events, and by appointment.
Phone: (313) 884-7010 Fax: (313) 884-7699
E-mail: GPHistorical@aol.com
Honorary Board
Chip Berschback
Patricia R. Colett
Debbie Graffius
Nancy R. Griffin
Ronald C. Lamparter
Gail Stroh-Marentette
Alfred B. Moran II
Herman Mozer
Russell H. Peebles
Robert J. Petz, Jr.
Thomas E. Singelyn, D.D.S.
Michael W. Skinner
Curator
Suzy Berschback
Administrator
Mary Kay DuCharme
Parliamentarian
Andrea Weyhing
the Moorings
Editor
Ann Marie Aliotta
Historical Plaque Number 53
1...,217,218,219,220,221,222,223,224,225,226 228,229,230
Powered by FlippingBook