GPHS Moorings Newsletters - page 2

As part of the Blue Star Museums
Project, the Grosse Pointe Historical
Society hosts an Open House, Satur-
day, August 10 from 1 pm to 4 pm.
The Blue Star Museums Project
offers free admission to all active duty military personnel and their
families between Memorial Day and Labor Day 2013.
Tours of the nearly two centuries-old Provencal-Weir House and log
cabin highlight the offerings for this special celebration.
The free admission provided to active duty U.S. military - Army,
Navy, Air Force,Marines, Coast Guard, as well as members of the
National Guard and Reserve, U.S. Public Health Commissioned Corps,
NOAA Commissioned Corps – and up to five family members.
Blue Star Museum
This is a WWI American Red Cross
Canteen Worker Badge in the archives
at the Alfred B. and Ruth S. Moran
Resource Center.
Heritage Preservation is pleased to announce the
that the Grosse Pointe Historical Society has been
chosen to participate in the 2014 Conservation
Assessment Program (CAP).
The Grosse Pointe Historical Society joins the
2,800 museums that have participated in CAP in
its 22 year history of serving
museums. Heritage Preservation’s CAP is supported
through a cooperative agreement with the federal
Institute of Museum and Library Services. CAP assists museums
by providing funds for professional conservation and preservation
specialists to identify the conservation needs of their collections
and historic buildings and recommend ways to correctly improve
collections and building conditions.
Heritage Preservation’s President, Lawrence L. Reger, praised
the Grosse Pointe Historical Society for “making the vital work of
caring for collections and sites a priority of their institution, even in
these challenging financial times, and helping ensure that they are
available to present and future generations.”
CAP provides a general conservation assessment of the museum’s
collections and historic buildings –The Provencal-Weir House, the
Log Cabin and the Alfred B and Ruth S. Moran Resource Center.
Professional conservators will spend two days surveying the site
and three days preparing comprehensive reports that will identify
conservation priorities.The on-site consultation will enable the the
Grosse Pointe Historical Society to evaluate its current collections
care policies, procedures, and environmental conditions.
Heritage Preservation is a national non-profit organization
dedicated to preserving the cultural heritage of the United States.
By identifying risks, developing innovative programs, and providing
broad public access to expert advice, Heritage Preservation assists
museums, libraries, archives, historic preservation and other
organizations, as well as individuals, in caring for our endangered
heritage.To learn more about Heritage Preservation, please visit
.
Grosse Pointe
Historical Society
established 1945
Summer 2014
Vol. 31 No. 1
the
Moorings
Society earns CAP Grant
Three properties showcased
History lives and thrives in the Grosse Pointes.The Grosse Pointe
Historical Society recognized three properties that reflect the variety of
buildings in the area.
The individuals and organizations that have with their imagination
and creativity sought to preserve and even repurpose these buildings were
acknowledged for their vision at a free program,Tuesday, May 13 at the
Grosse Pointe War Memorial.
Three properties,The Red Crown Restaurant,The Country Club of
Detroit and the Rohns House at 888 Lake Shore, received Plaques,
The Red Crown Restaurant, originally a Standard Oil gas station,
was built in 1932 by the company. All the stations featured beige brick,
red roof tiles and a
distinctive façade.
The second building
to be honored was the
Country Club of Detroit.
CCD has a history of
“new club houses.”
The first home for
the Country Club was a
building on the lake, near
the foot of Fisher Road,
built in 1886. The second
club house was built and
designed by Albert Kahn in
1905 on lakeside property.
In 1911, the Club bought
the Weir farm in order to build a new and better golf course on the “upper”
property. In 1923 the next clubhouse was opened. Designed by Albert
Kahn, the building was like an English country estate. Two years later, a fire
gutted the building. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls carried out a new design.
The third property is the summer home built at 888 Lake Shore.The
Hermann C. Rohns House is an example of summer homes that were
built on the lake in the early years of the 20th century.
Rohns, built the cottage in 1904.The brown shingle style home and
carriage house include many Craftsman details.
The current owner, Patricia Galvin, has maintained and restored these
unique elements.
Susan Bologna, Michael Farley, Ben Gravel, Greg Jakub were the research-
ers for this presentation. Technical assistance was provided by Daniel Kubacki.
Complete presentation on each property is available on the web site
at gphistorical.org
Ron Konopka created a 1/24 scale model of the
Standard Oil Station c. 1950 that has been repurposed
as the Red Crown Restaurant, 15301 Kercheval.
Some of his collection were on display at the War
Memorial for the Pointes of History Celebration.
1 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,...230
Powered by FlippingBook