GPHS Moorings Newsletters - page 182

image
image
d
This issue of
the Moorings
was supported in part by
The Private Bank
of Grosse Pointe
d
Letter from the President
The Grosse Pointe Historical Society has its physical presence
– the 1823 Provencal-Weir House and the Alfred B. and Ruth
S. Moran Resource Center – in Grosse Pointe Farms. But our
endeavors are “without borders,” and celebrate the history of
all five Grosse Pointes from the dim and distant days of
swamps, farming, hunting and trading, to memories of Grosse
Pointe students visiting with Hollywood stars, just a few
decades ago.
For much of its history, the Grosse Pointes were not known by
their current names and boundaries, being called simply
Grosse Pointe and Grand Marais through the 18th and much of
the 19th centuries. The Provencal-Weir House originally stood
on a site near present day Provencal and Lake Shore Roads.
History in our community is ever-growing and ever-changing!
Our membership and the support of the community through
our Annual Appeal is represented throughout the Grosse Pointe
municipalities. The attendance at our events including, the
recent fundraiser, “A Night in Tuscany,” is equally cosmopoli-
tan (We REALLY served the larger community here, with
guests from as far away as Grand Rapids, Florida and Italy!).
We could change our name – to the Grosse Pointe
S
Historical
Society, but that just doesn’t have the right ring to it. We do
want you to know that wherever you live in or outside the
Grosse Pointes, the Grosse Pointe Historical Society is here to
serve you with research, information, preservation, education,
and activities which celebrate the rich heritage of our commu-
nities – all five of them!
Historically yours,
Stuart W. Grigg
President
Officers
Stuart W. Grigg . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .President
Patti Schollenberger . . . . . . .Vice President-Administration
Herman Mozer . . . . . . . . . . . . .Vice President-Preservation
Richard Strowger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Treasurer
Danielle DeFauw . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Secretary
Board of Trustees
Carolyn Candler
Elizabeth Canzano
James Conway
Valerie Dodenhoff
Bruce Fralick
Debbie Graffius
Kiki Herfert
James Hinkins
Mary Lighton Shafer
Maud Lyon
William Penoyar, Jr.
Sara Malcomson Ralph
Ann Rock
Rick Ruffner
Claudia Shannon
Michael W. Skinner
Paul J. Sloan
Elizabeth (Penny) Soby
Molly Valade
Rob Wood
Khristi Zimmeth
Gail Zmyslowski
The Grosse Pointe Historical Society
Headquarters, Provencal-Weir House, c. 1823,
376 Kercheval Ave., is open the second
Saturday of each month, 1:00-4:00 p.m.,
during special events, and by appointment.
The Resource Center, 381 Kercheval Ave.,
is open Tuesday and Wednesday,
10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:00 p.m.
Phone: (313) 884-7010
Honorary Board
Chip Berschback
Patricia R. Colett
Michael Farley
Lisa Mower Gandelot
Nancy Griffin
Ronald C. Lamparter
Gail R. Stroh Marentette
Russell H. Peebles
Robert J. Petz, Jr.
Thomas E. Singelyn, DDS
Curator
Suzy Berschback
Administrator
Linda Johnson
Parliamentarian
Andrea Weyhing
the Moorings
Editor
Ann Marie Aliotta
Curator Emeritus
Jean Dodenhoff
1...,172,173,174,175,176,177,178,179,180,181 183,184,185,186,187,188,189,190,191,192,...230
Powered by FlippingBook